Tutorials, Handouts and Software
The links below point to tutorials, handouts and useful software available to faculty. Some handouts require the free Adobe Acrobat reader.
Blackboard Learn 9.1
Blackboard Learn 9.1 is Atlantic Cape's web-based learning management system, used in all of our online courses. Not only does it have communication tools such as email, messages, discussions and chat, but it also allows you to create online tests, monitor your students' progress through activities, and it also supports many multimedia formats such as audio and video. Instructional Technology offers faculty a variety of workshops on Blackboard Learn 9.1. Blackboard has created an "On Demand Learning Center" to assist faculty in learning Blackboard Learn 9.1. Click below for audio narrated Instructor and Student Blackboard Learn 9.1 tutorials.
- Blackboard Learn 9.1 Workshop Handouts & Manuals
- Blackboard Learn 9.1 Instructor Tutorials
- Blackboard Learn 9.1 Student Tutorials
- Blackboard Learn 9.1 On Demand Learning Center
- Blackboard YouTube Channel - View Recent Webinars!
- Suggestions for Improvements to Blackboard? Click here!
Creating Accessible PDFs
It is important to create "tagged" PDF files in order for screen readers like JAWS to be able to navigate and read the files. This tagging can be done automatically when you save a file as a PDF in Microsoft Office 2007 and higher.
- Creating Accessible PDFs
- Creating Accessible Excel Worksheets
- Creating Accessible PowerPoint Presentations
- Creating Accessible Word Documents
Jing is software to create instant screenshots and screencasts.
Mac Help and Documentation
For PC users who have switched to a Mac:
Guide for using a Mac effectively:
Polling Tools for the Classroom
Two free student response systems to use in your classroom are Poll Everywhere and Polls by Blackboard. These free applications use students' personal mobile devices to increase classroom interaction. Students can participate in classroom surveys using SMS messaging, mobile and desktop web browsers.
Prezi is zooming presentation software. It allows you to bring all of your ideas into one space and show how they relate.
- Prezi Web Site
- Prezi Audio Narrated Tutorials and Cheat Sheets
- Sign up for free Student/Teacher Prezi Edu account
SMART Board Interactive Whiteboard and SMART Notebook Software
View the links below for information on free online training and resources for the SMART Board interactive whiteboard and the SMART Notebook software.
- Introduction to the SMART Board Interactive Whiteboard Tutorial
- SMART Board Interactive Whiteboard Training Webinars
- SMART Notebook Software Training Webinars
- SMART Exchange (Lesson Plans and Resources for your SMART Board)
- SMART Notebook 11 Software (free download)
Turnitin is software used at Atlantic Cape to deter plagiarism. It is easy to use and quickly identifies unoriginal material. View the link below for useful handouts, manuals, and links. Turnitin Academy Live is a series of highly interactive online professional development sessions geared toward taking instructors beyond just plagiarism prevention and toward a powerful pedagogy for 'writing to learn.' Each one-hour session explores practical methods and activities of using Turnitin in the instructional process.
Twiddla is a real-time online collaboration tool that is free for educational uses. You can use Twiddla to create and attend password protected meetings with a custom meeting URL. Twiddla allows you to share images and documents and incorporates both chat and voice.
Venus Academic Server
The Atlantic Cape academic server ("Venus") provides file storage and website technologies for faculty and students. Students enrolled in courses utilizing Venus will automatically have an individual account created following Drop/Add. Faculty accounts are created upon request.
(Note: By storing content on the server, all users implicitly agree to the terms and conditions outlined in the Acceptable Usage Policy. This document is also available in every user directory.)
Instructions for accessing individual accounts are listed below:
Web Page Design
View the links below for help with designing and maintaining web pages:
- Saving a Microsoft Word 2007 Document as a Web Page (PDF format)
- Saving a Microsoft Word 2007 Document as a Web Page (audio narrated tutorial)
- Transferring files Using FTP (for Windows)