Prerequisites: High school diploma or GED, physical exam including drug screening, documentation of immunizations, PPD test and Hepatitis B series must be provided at the time of registration. Candidates must obtain a reading score of 11 and math score of 10 on the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE).
Medical assistants are highly trained individuals who perform a variety of administrative and clinical duties in the offices of physicians, podiatrists, chiropractors and other health care facilities. Clinical duties include taking medical histories, recording vital signs, explaining treatment procedures to patients, preparing patients for examination and assisting the physician during the exam.
Students completing all course requirements will be eligible to sit for the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certified Clinical Medical Assistant, Phlebotomy Technician and EKG Technician certification exams. American Heart Association, BLS/CPR certification is also included in this program. The cost of these exams and certifications is included in the program fee.
The program consists of 14 modules:
- Module 1: Medical Terminology
- Module 2: Vital Signs
- Module 3: Communication, Patient History, Assisting with Examinations
- Module 4: Fundamentals of Medical Assisting 1 (Microbiology and Disease and Phlebotomy)
- Module 5: Fundamentals of Medical Assisting 2 (Pharmacology, Injections, Minor Office Surgery)
- Module 6: Fundamentals of Medical Procedures (HIPPA/Medical Law and Ethics, Medical Administrative Procedures)
- Module 7: Anatomy and Physiology
- Module 8: Fundamentals of Medical Assisting 3 (EKG)
- Module 9: CPR/BLS For Healthcare Professionals
- Module 10: Billing and Coding
- Module 11: Professional Development
- Module 12: Introduction to Computers
- Module 13: Computers for the Medical Office
- Module 14: Internship
A criminal background check will be done for all enrolled students on the first day of class. NOTE: A criminal background report containing negative information may prevent placement for the clinical portion of this program. Upon successful program completion and certification, you will be eligible for three college credits toward Atlantic Cape degree programs and professional series.
MEDA-148 (620 Hours)
Fee: $6,035 (Tuition $2,078, Materials $982, Lab $2,975)
- Section AW02-Worthington Atlantic City Campus
Lecture/Lab: Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
Clinical: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Orientation Day: Thursday, April 2, 2015
Beginning April 6, 2015 (Ending November 25)