The GEAR UP Atlantic City and Pleasantville Program provides academic support, college preparation resources and activities to middle and high school students in select schools throughout the Atlantic City and Pleasantville school districts. The following services are available FREE OF CHARGE to program participants and their parents:
Services provided to students:
- After school tutoring
- Financial Aid / College preparation workshops
- Career workshops
- College visits & tours
- Cultural events & field trips
- Academic and personal counseling
- 6-week summer program held on Atlantic Cape’s Charles Worthington Atlantic City campus focusing on skill development in the areas of Math, Science and Language Arts
Services provided to parents:
- Workshops discussing student financial aid & post-secondary options
- Financial literacy workshops
- Monthly GEAR UP! Planning sessions for parents and students
- Opportunity to chaperone on field trips
- Exposure to positive role models for parental involvement in student success
- Opportunity to observe/attend the Atlantic Cape Community College campus or school-based workshops
Eligibility Requirements: Students must be enrolled in one of the following targets schools in order to apply: Atlantic City High School, New York Avenue School, Sovereign Avenue School, Martin Luther King, Jr. School Complex, Uptown School Complex, Middle School of Pleasantville or Pleasantville High School.
Students interested in participating in the GEAR UP Program must complete the GEAR UP application; have a valid social security number; receive free or reduced lunch; (1) recommendation from a guidance counselor; and be in grades 6-12.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Robert Kusmiesz, Assistant Director at (609) 343-4811.