There are many resources you can access to “brush up” on English and math skills prior to taking the placement test:
- What is Accuplacer?
- Passaic County Community College Accuplacer Practice Placement Test
- Accuplacer Practice Solutions
- The Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- Accuplacer Study Guides
- Search "Accuplacer practice" on Google
- The library has some math help books and standard test books that may be utilized to review similar kinds of questions. Other resources include your local library or bookstore's reference section.
The Placement Test (ACCUPLACER) consists of an essay, a test of reading comprehension, sentence skills, elementary algebra, and arithmetic. A decision zone math test or college level math test may also be given. It is a test that students may take once they are admitted to the college. Placement test scores are valid for four years. Students may retest once after a thirty day time period has lapsed. There is a $12 retesting fee.
Before you register for a math, English or other course requiring a demonstrated level of ability, you must take a Placement Test. This ensures you are entering the course at the appropriate level. If your test scores indicate a need for improved basic skills in English or mathematics, you will be placed in the appropriate developmental course instead.
If you do not take the Placement Test, you will be severely limited in your selection of courses and may not be able to maintain full-time status.
If you meet the following criteria, you are exempt from having to take the Placement Test.
- Students seeking to complete one course for professional development purposes only may request a waiver of the Test by meeting with the Director of Admission & College Recruitment or the Director of Student Development and Judicial Officer.
- Students who have taken the SAT test within the last four years and received a minimum score of 530 in mathematics and a minimum score of 540 in Critical Reading.
- Students who have taken the ACT test within the last four years and received a mathematics score of 22 and combined English/Reading score of 47.
- Students who already have a degree (A.A., B.S., etc.) may be exempt from testing
- Students who have taken the required sections of the test (Accuplacer) at another New Jersey college within the last four years, and submit an official copy of the test results to Atlantic Cape.
- Transfer students who have completed a college-level mathematics course within the last 10 years and/or an English course at another college.
Tests are administered at the Mays Landing campus, at the Charles D. Worthington Atlantic City Center, and at the Cape May County Campus. The tests are at least two hours long. Students must register with the Testing Office at any of the three campus locations, or call for available testing dates. For information, call (609) 343-5099, 343-4831 or 463-3775.
For Placement Test information, call:
(609) 625-1111, ext. 5449