English as a Second Language
If your native language is not English, you are required to take the English as a Second Language (ESL) Placement Test. The test will show whether you can begin college-level classes or if you need further study in ESL Courses.
You may not have to take the ESL Placement Test if:
- You have graduated from a U.S. high school and passed an interview with the ESL Chairperson.
- You have presented TOEFL scores of at least 480 written, 157 computer, or 54-55 iBT.
Scheduling the Test
Call the testing office nearest you to schedule an appointment:
- Mays Landing - (609) 625-1111, ext. 5449
- Atlantic City - (609) 343-4831
- Cape May County - (609) 463-4774, ext. 3775
Atlantic Cape offers different levels of ESL courses. Check the list below to find out which one best meets your needs. Once you complete the ESL program, you will be required to take an Exit Test before registering in college-level courses.
|If you:||You need:|
|Are new to America and do not know English||Adult Education ESL ($15 fee)|
|Are looking for work||College credit courses|
|Want a promotion||College credit courses|
|Want to pursue a college degree||College credit courses|
For more information
Call the ESL Program Chairperson for information about college credit courses, at (609) 343-4881, and for information on the Adult Education ESL courses call, (609) 343-4713.