Procedure No. 10.1
Area: Human Resources
Revisions Adopted: 11/20/12
Description: Emeritus Status
A. Criteria to be used in Determining Eligibility:
- Emeritus status may be granted a faculty member after entering retired status with a minimum of ten years full-time service with Atlantic Cape Community College.
- Eligible employees include all faculty members with full professor rank.
- Service to the College must be judged exemplary by the President.
- The individual must have made contributions which are generally accepted as being significantly beyond the norm for the position.
- The granting of emeritus status to faculty shall be based on performance in the same general areas considered during evaluations throughout their careers: teaching effectiveness, professional contributions, service and support to the College and its community.
B. Nominations for Emeriti Status:
- The Human Resources Office shall initiate an annual request for nominations from the College community for the emeritus status. Nominations are encouraged from any College employee who believes that an individual may be qualified. Each nomination must include a list of accomplishments and examples that demonstrate the fulfillment of criteria established for this designation. Recommendations for the title will be confirmed and recommended by the particular division or department and forwarded to the Emeritus Committee. The Emeritus Committee should be appointed annually by the Faculty Assembly to review and make recommendations to the President.
- The total number of emeritus professors shall not exceed 10% of the number of full-time teaching faculty. To insure that opportunities for appointment will exist on a routine basis, not more than one emeritus appointment will be granted each year.
C. Award of Emeritus Status:
The Board of Trustees shall award Emeritus status, upon the recommendation of the President.
D. Rights and Privileges of Emeriti faculty:
In addition to those listed for retired personnel in Policy No. 9 and Procedure No. 9.1, will include:
- Listing in College catalogs.
- Mailing address and divisional mailbox (if desired).
- Inclusion as a member of the commencement platform party for the year following appointment. The new Emeritus status will be acknowledged during the introduction of the platform party.
- Receive invitations to participate in College public ceremonies such as academic processions, convocations, and appropriate social functions.
- Use of the title of Professor Emeritus, Atlantic Cape Community College.
Back to the Policies and Procedures Main Menu