Board of Trustees
The Atlantic Cape Community College Board of Trustees is made up of 15 members. By statute, seven members are appointed by the County Executive of Atlantic County, with the approval of the Freeholders and three members are appointed by the Cape May County Board of Chosen Freeholders. The County Superintendents of Schools of Atlantic and Cape May counties are also members of the Board by statute.
Two members are appointed by the Governor. One non-voting alumnus member from Atlantic or Cape May County is elected for a one-year term by each year's graduating class. Click here if you would like to learn more about Board appointment procedures. The current Board membership includes nine Caucasian males, three Caucasian females, one African-American male, and two Hispanic females. They are active in education, healthcare, utilities, public service, law, banking, hospitality, and community businesses.
The Board sets policy and has final authority over budgets and expenditures, and the President is responsible for internal administrative operations.
The most important function of the Board is the selection, evaluation and retention of the college president. The current president is under contract, with retention and contract renewal contingent on performance/evaluation guidelines established by the Board. The evaluation timeline of the President's performance can be reviewed here. The Board also sets the policies for the College.
Board members participate in national, state and local civic professional organizations as well as political and charitable organizations. Members understand the community college mission and the legal and fiscal duties stipulated in state statutes and state board of education regulations. They are active outside regular board meetings, participating in legislative action relevant to community colleges.
- Trustee Resource Center, a collection of materials designed to support the trustees of Atlantic Cape.
- View the Atlantic Cape Board of Trustees By Laws
- General Powers of the Board, New Jersey Statutes 18A: 64A-12
The Board meets on the fourth Tuesday of each month in the evening. The seven committees of the Board of Trustees meet the week prior to the Board meeting
- Schedule of dates, times and locations for the monthly Board of Trustees meetings.
- Minutes of previous Atlantic Cape Board of Trustees meetings.
- Maria Ivette Torres, Chairperson
- Dave Coskey, Vice Chairperson
- Maria Mento, Treasurer
- Ellen Byrne, Esq.
- Christina Clemans
- David A. Evans
- Briar Gibbons, Alumni Representative
- James B. Kennedy, Esq.
- Brian G. Lefke
- Mary B. Long
- Dr. Thomas McMahon, Atlantic County Executive Superintendent of Schools
- Thomas E. Milhous
- Donald Parker
- Dr. Richard Stepura, Cape May County Superintendent of Schools
- Helen W. Walsh
- Dr. Peter Mora, College President, ex-officio